Hot Metal can burn. Do not touch the metal until it is cold.
Like everything dangerous in life, we learn how to handle it. That is part of growing up. When you have a crowd of kids there are a few basic rules.
- Use a sturdy desk. You do not want something which can move or shake.
- Make sure you use a protective underlay as molten metal can damage the surface.
- Only 1 kid allowed at the time to deal with hot metal.
- Have your spectators in front of you, not behind.
- Let the kids touch the hot solidified metal. That creates respect for the material and the danger.
- Wash your hands after handling the metal or the castings.
- No food or sweets to be handled at the same time as the workshops.
- No water to make contact with the moulds or metal.