Model Metal (54% Lead / 11% Tin / 35% Bismuth) is our best casting metal. It contains bismuth which reduces the melting temperature and shrinkage. While most alloys shrink while solidifying, Model metal does not. Can be used in rubber, plaster and metal moulds.
Ingot length 122 mm, Width 25mm, weight 125gr
Melts at 138°C (280°F).
Cast at 300-370°C.
Melts on electric cooker at maximum. For very fine detailed casting we recommend our Solder Melting Pot which can bring up temperature up higher.
Shipping Notice: Due to problems with Australian airport security repeatedly returning metal, Please ONLY use TNT shipping for Australia.
Please contact northernsmelters instead if you want to source this metal in Australia.
Numbers of figures per bar of metal:
- 25-28mm scale = 10 single unmounted figures
- 40mm scale = 5 single unmounted figures
- 54mm scale = 3 single unmounted figures
All our casting metal come in same size bars. So above chart is valid for Standard, 5Star and Model Metal.
Model Metal Safety Data Sheet.
- Collectors’ items not suitable as a toy.
- Adult supervision recommended for children under the age of 16.
- Hot metal will burn if touched or spilled.
- Cover the working surface with paper or hard board.
- Do not leave a ladle with molten metal unattended
- Do not overheat the metal with a gas flame.
- Standard and Model metal contains lead which may be harmful if swallowed or chewed.
- Do not smoke while working with the castings.
- Wash hands after using kits and clear up waste material.
- Keep away from food and do not snack or eat during handling of metal.
- Prolonged exposure to lead can be harmful.
- Never cool the metal or moulds with water.