The Battle of the Boyne Lord Bellew's Foot pewter miniature in 54mm scale.
The Battle of the Boyne was fought in 1690 between two rival claimants of the English, Scottish, and Irish thrones – the Catholic King James and the Protestant King William (who had deposed James in 1688) – across the River Boyne near Drogheda on the east coast of Ireland.
The battle, won by William, was a turning point in James' unsuccessful attempt to regain the crown and ultimately helped ensure the continuation of Protestant supremacy in Ireland.
Ironically, some contemporary historians have speculated that William's campaign may have been funded, at least in part, by Pope Alexander VIII as part of a shared hostility with William to Louis XIV of France, who at the time was attempting to establish dominance in Europe and to whom James was an ally.
William's forces defeated James' army of mostly raw recruits. The symbolic importance of this battle has made it one of the best-known battles in British–Irish history and it is a key part of the folklore for the Orange Order.
The Williamite side comprised of 36,000 troops made up of 12 nationalities, among then, Dutch, Danes, Germans, French Huguenots, English, Scottish, Irish, Swiss, Italians, Norwegians and Poles. The Jacobites numbered 24,000 men of five nationalities, Irish, English, Scottish, French and German.
Its commemoration today is principally by the Orange Institution.
Sir John Bellew of Bellewstown, Co. Meath was Lord Lieutenant and Governer of County Louth. He was knighted and created Baron Bellew of Duleek and raised a Foot Regiment to serve King James II. His regiment fought at the Boyne and Auhgrim where Sir John was severely wounded and died of his wounds in January 1692.
This figure was sculpted by Chris Tubb and hand-painted by local Irish artists.
This product is not suitable for children under the age of 14.